Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The State of RP


A dear sweet friend of mine, Tania, asked if 360 (Yahoo!) was pretty much dead; I replied stating that I thought RP in general was pretty much dead and that I would address the issue once I could collect my thoughts on the subject. Well, I think I collected my thoughts so here I go.

I started to RP in March 2000, but I had writing my own stuff for about 8 years and saw it as another avenue to hone my writing skills. I joined the Yahoo! Star Trek vs Star Wars RPG club. I enjoyed it, it was a learning experience; my writing tools were sharpened for the next big thing: Galaxy Wars.

It was started by a member of the Star Trek vs Star Wars club; this group was a tad different. Instead of having the Federation fight alongside of the Rebellion, the Federation signed a peace treaty with the Galactic Empire in exchange for the Empire to exterminate the Borg; in return the Federation would help rid the Empire of the Rebellion.

I had a ball playing the villain; especially when I forced the Rebellion forces at Deep Space 9 to fire on my USS Valkyrie, Federation Sovereign Class Battle Cruiser. The Valkryie had her shields down; thus the Federation was forced to accept the treaty with the Empire.

I saw the highs and lows come and go, but it eventually died out when the Rebellion stopped posting; most of it thanks to our resident god modders. They just had to have the biggest and best of everything and poke their noses into other people’s matters or have their padawans outmaneuver/out think/out due Jedi Knights.

The group died like all do eventually and I went back to writing stories. I created a couple of Myspace accounts and met Starr Magulta; Red, the Naughty French Maid; Lady Blue and Dana Tan, Double Trouble (GRRRRRR!). These four wonderful friends (notice how they’re all sexy females?) slowly got me back into RPing; I made Ryan Wolf and the after burners were engaged!

I’ve seen the highs and lows here too; RPing with a Chp leaves me in stitches, he’s a truly gifted writer. I can’t say enough about Lady Blue and Dana Tan, wow, they have been truly blessed by the Creator; lastly what bout Captain America and Ryan Wolf caving into donut temptation?

The lows coming in 2008 and staying into early 2009; there was a disastrous RP in which several young RPers were so consumed on achieving the goal that they forgot all about other players and important NPCs that were outside Doom’s Castle, that’s all I’ll say because I don’t want to start a fight. Several friends went inactive for various reasons: Schools, jobs, career opportunities, etc. Sadly, it seems my best friends were dealt the worse blow. Deaths in families and severe illness struck. Dana Tan, Captain America, and their respective families are constantly in my prayers.

As for 360, I think it’s pretty much dead thanks to Yahoo!’s inability to fix or improve it. I will continue to update my page and send flattering comments to Ultra Woman, Star Spangled Girl and a few others as well as writing a new story for them.

RP will always be there, you just have to know where’s it’s at. You may stumble upon it on happen chance or you maybe asked to join. If so, enjoy it! Seize the day! You are not promised tomorrow.

1 comment: