Sunday, September 12, 2010

Wolf in Gotham Part 2

At 2100 hours, I hit one of the local greasy spoons. The rain had turned into a fine mist as I gazed out upon the busy concrete jungle; with any luck it would soon to turn to snow. I could hear Wonder Woman in my mind's ear; I ordered something low fat as not to upset my stomach. Tomorrow would be my first flight in nearly 5 months; I couldn't afford to get sick over night.

I stepped outside after a hot cup of cocoa. My breath was visible for all of Gotham to see; the mist was turning into sleet, snow was on the way. I thanked God that something was finally going my way. I put my hands in the pockets of my jacket and walked down the street.

I was three or four blocks from the heart burn kitchen when I felt like I was being watched. I didn't like the feeling; I calmly removed my hands from my flight jacket. A hand suddenly reached from the shadows and grabbed my jacket. I was flung against a wall.

I saw a dark figure standing in front of me; his eye slits narrowed as he approached. The Batman wasn't happy, he's never happy. Snow began to fall as I fixed my jacket.

"You know the Navy wouldn't like it if one of their pilots couldn't fly on a mission of national security due to some actions of an over anxious vigilante," I stated.

"Save your idle threats," the curt Batman answered harshly and demanded, "Why are you here?"

"Classified," I replied, returning the curtness.

"How long will you be here?"

"Classified," I replied.

Batman continued playing twenty questions and I kept playing Mr. Echo. His clean rock hard granite face was inches from my smooth shaved cleft face. The testosterone was violently boiling. "I don't want you here," he gnarled.

"Would it make a difference if I were an Army lieutenant?" I asked with my tongue firmly in cheek.

After a momentary pause of silence Batman huffed, "You're not your brother."

"The Naughty French Maid sends her best, oh Great Gotham," I retorted.

His eyeslits narrowed, he pulled out one of his bat toys and fired it. A grappling hook soared into the air and snagged something; the Batman streaked upwards into the falling snow and disappeared.

"Up, up and away!" I mocked as Bats was swallowed by the night. I walked back onto the street smiling. I felt like did over Kosovo when I saw that MIG-29 Fulcrum burst into flames, it was my first kill. My mind quickly raced back to Jaime and her 18th birthday. I was a 21 year old junior at the Academy and we purposely waited for that night; we rocked the walls down. Her dad found out and threatened to have me kicked out of the Academy. He changed their phone number and ultimately moved the family out of town. I hadn't seen her or heard from her since 'till tonight. This God blessed night. I felt that hope was reborn. Jaime would replace the MIA Sergeant Bathsheba Lobo.

No comments:

Post a Comment